1998.149: News Releases

Institution: Illinois Institute of Technology Archives
Address:
35 W. 33rd St.
Chicago, IL 60616
Phone: 312-567-6840
Fax: 312-567-5318
Contact
Website
Date: 1939-1999
Extent: 15 Linear Feet
Finding Aid

Abstract
Biographical/Historical Note:
Illinois Institute of Technology was created in 1940 by the merger of two Chicago technical colleges (both opened in the 1890s), Armour Institute of Technology (AIT) and Lewis Institute. IIT continued the engineering, architecture, science, humanities, and home economics programs taught by Armour and Lewis, making higher education available to both men and women. IIT’s student body has always included first- and second-generation immigrants, ethnic and racial minority students, and international students. IIT’s main campus is on the South Side of Chicago at the former site of AIT. The campus expanded between 1945 and 1968. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (director of architecture at both AIT and IIT) laid out the campus and designed 20 of its 50 buildings.

Scope and Content Note:
News (press) releases by Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago) sent to local media announcing events, programs, and activities of the university. The original press releases are in the collection of IIT Archives. They have been digitized and are available as full-text searchable documents from the Internet Archive. (Use the title NEWS RELEASES to search for the digital files.) For more information, see http://archives.iit.edu/indexes/. A link there will take you to the digitized press releases.

Related Material: None