1998.130: Non-Serial Publications
35 W. 33rd St.
Chicago, IL 60616
Extent: 24 Linear Feet
Illinois Institute of Technology was created in 1940 by the merger of two Chicago technical colleges (both opened in the 1890s), Armour Institute of Technology (AIT) and Lewis Institute. IIT continued the engineering, architecture, science, humanities, and home economics programs taught by Armour and Lewis, making higher education available to both men and women. IIT’s student body has always included first- and second-generation immigrants, ethnic and racial minority students, and international students. IIT’s main campus is on the South Side of Chicago at the former site of AIT. The campus expanded between 1945 and 1968. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (director of architecture at both AIT and IIT) laid out the campus and designed 20 of its 50 buildings.
Scope and Content Note:
Publications, including brochures, fliers, and assorted printed matter produced by Illinois Institute of Technology in connection with academic, administrative, and extracurricular programs and activities.