1998.049: Henry T. Heald Papers
35 W. 33rd St.
Chicago, IL 60616
Extent: 30 Linear Feet
Henry Townley Heald served as Armour Institute of Technology's president from 1937-1940, and oversaw the consolidation of Armour and Lewis Institute. That merger led to the formation of Illinois Institute of Technology in 1940, with Heald serving as IIT's first president. Heald served until 1952, and under his guidance, IIT evolved from a small engineering school to a significant technology center. In addition, he was instrumental in shaping the close relationship between industry and the research done at IIT by adding sixty leading industrialists to the board of trustees. Heald also recruited scholars from all over America and Europe, including Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe who designed and built IIT's landmark campus.
Scope and Content Note:
The collection consists of correspondence, memos, reports, and other materials which constitute the administrative files of the of Henry T. Heald in his role as President of Armour Institute of Technology (Chicago), 1937-1940 and as President of Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago), 1940-1952. A few folders document Heald's involvement with the South Side Planning Board, a joint project of IIT, Michael Reese Hospital, and other area institutions to redevelop deteriorating neighborhoods post-World War II.