Office of the President, Raymond C. Baumhart, S.J., Records
Cudahy Library Room 218
1032 West Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60626
Extent: 11.67 Linear Feet
Access to this collection is restricted; please contact the holding institution for details.
The office of the president was created in 1870 with the founding of St. Ignatius College. Arnold Dame, S.J., served as the first president from 1870 to 1872. Twenty-three Jesuits have served as president of Loyola during its history, the first twelve presidents serving under the title of president of St. Ignatius College before the college was re-chartered as Loyola University in 1909. Alexander J. Burrowes, S.J., was the last president of St. Ignatius College and the first president of Loyola University. Raymond C. Baumhart, S.J., was inaugurated as the twenty-first president of Loyola University Chicago in 1970 and was the longest serving president of Loyola to-date, retiring in 1993. His tenure saw the university grow in both enrollment and physical space.
Scope and Content Note:
The Raymond C. Baumhart, S.J., records span from 1918 to 1993, with the bulk of the records spanning from 1960 to 1993, and cover Fr. Baumhart’s tenure as president of Loyola University Chicago, 1970 to 1993. Records prior to 1970 reflect the administrations of Fr. Baumhart’s predecessors, most notably that of his immediate predecessor, James F. Maguire, S.J. (president, 1955-1970).