Office of Public Relations

Institution: Loyola University Chicago - University Archives and Special Collections
Address:
Cudahy Library Room 218
1032 West Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60626
Phone: 773-508-2661
Fax: 773-508-8691
Website
Date: 1957-1982
Extent: 11 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None

Abstract
Biographical/Historical Note:
The public relations office was created to serve the needs of Loyola University. Responsible for such things as news releases and various publications, it has grown to become a critical component of the University. Most of the files were collected during the reign of Alvo E. Albini from 1967 to 1983. During his 16-year tenure, Albini directed the public relations of Loyola's year-long 100th anniversary, its 10-year $180 million capital campaign, and the ground breaking, open house, and dedication of the medical center, library addition, science hall, law school, and sports center.

Scope and Content Note:
This collection consists of 319 files in 24 archives boxes. Files are arranged alphabetically and the records within each file are organized chronologically. This collection includes files from 1957 to 1982. Most of the files, however, are from the 1970s. Particularly useful for the researcher is the activities reports from 1975 to 1981. These reports give a week by week summary of all the activities accomplished by the public relations office. A typical week might include such diverse activities as producing a psychology brochure, answering newspaper inquiries, working on the Loyola Report, and creating and distributing news releases. Also useful are the twenty two files which contain the correspondence from the public relations office. In these files the researcher can get a good sense of the day to day activities that occured in the public relations office during the 1970s. Finally, the resercher should look at the news releases put out by the public relations staff. The archives has the news releases from 1964 to the present.

Related Material: None