Office of the Chancellor, James F. Maguire, S.J., Records
Cudahy Library Room 218
1032 West Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60626
Extent: 12 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
Access to this collection is restricted; please contact the holding institution for details.
Father James F. Maguire, S.J. began his tenure as Loyola University's 20th president in July, 1955. He served as president for fifteen years, and until 1969 he was also the rector of Loyola's Jesuit Community. During his term, Father Maguire led the university through a period of growth and expansion. By 1970, Loyola had become the largest Catholic university in the United States. The number of students doubled, from just under 7,000 in 1955 to 14,000 in 1970. Ten new buildings were constructed on the Lake Shore, Water Tower, and Medical Center campuses, and the university's operating budget grew from $4 million to $37 million. Father Maguire established Loyola's Rome Center for the Liberal Arts in 1962, and was instrumental in securing funding for the Loyola University Medical Center, which opened in 1969. In his role as head of University development, Father Maguire developed relationships with many of Chicago's business and civic leaders, and created several annual giving programs. In February of 1970, Father Maguire approached the Board of Trustees with a proposal to divide the increasing responsibilities of the president's office between a president and a university chancellor. The Board of Trustees accepted the proposal, and appointed Father Maguire as Loyola's first chancellor. The new president, Father Raymond Baumhart, was responsible for managing the university. Father Maguire's duties as Chancellor included developing financial support from alumni, private donors, and corporations, and acting as the University's public representative. Father Maguire continued as Chancellor until 1976, when he was named Chancellor Emeritus. He continued to serve the University, cultivating a smaller number of donors, until his official retirement in 1994.
Scope and Content Note:
These records were generated by James F. Maguire, S.J. in his positions as Loyola University President (1955-1970), and Chancellor (1970-1976). The majority of the records are from his years as Chancellor; however, records from the last ten years of his presidency are included. Many of the earlier records relate to University development, which was central to his work as President and as Chancellor. The records are divided into six series: Associations, Bulletins, Foundations, Illinois, Loyola University, and PLUS (Progress for Loyola University in the Seventies). The folders in each series are arranged alphabetically by subject and the records within each folder are arranged chronologically.