8th Day Center for Justice Records
1032 W. Sheridan Road, Piper Hall
Chicago IL 60626
Extent: 22 Linear Feet
Spurred by a call from the Urban Apostolate of Sisters in Chicago for a center for peace and justice
in the city, six Catholic religious communities founded the 8th Day Center for Justice in 1974.
These six communities included the Sisters of Mercy, Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
Dominicans, Adrian Dominicans, Sisters of Providence, and Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of
Mary. The founders chose the name 8th Day Center for Justice from the biblical concept of the seven days of creation. The “8th Day” reflects the belief that creation is still in progress and humans are responsible for shaping their own world. The founders of 8th Day Center envisioned a dual approach to social justice action, directing efforts toward the involved religious communities as well as government and other civic organizations. That focus has expanded to include the media, service organizations, community action groups, and the public in general. Through detailed research of social justice issues and involvement with other social justice and community organizations and groups, 8th Day Center raises awareness about these issues and works to enact effective change.
Scope and Content Note:
The 8th Day Center for Justice Records consist of materials related to the organization‟s social justice activism in the Chicago area, spanning from 1968 until 2008. The records contain administrative and program materials, flyers and posters, news articles, research files, newsletters and publications, and conference materials. This collection also contains a large audio/visual component consisting of photographs, slides, audio tapes, and video tapes, as well as memorabilia items and oversize posters.