Gads Hill Center Photograph Collection
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 4.6 Linear Feet
The Gads Hill Settlement House of Chicago was established in 1898 at 869 West 22nd Street in an area then predominately inhabited by Poles, Germans, and Czechs. Its purpose was to serve as a neighborhood center, and to secure better social, economic, and moral conditions for the people of the district. In 1916, the settlement house moved to a new building on 1919 West 20th Street (now Cullerton). This building is its present home.
Scope and Content Note:
Visual materials relating to the activities, facilities and people, primarily children, in activities at the Gads Hill Center, a settlement house in the Lower West Side community of Chicago. Activities show children in educational, sports and play settings, at a carnival and at camp. Many Polish Americans and some African American children are depicted. Teenagers are shown dancing, cooking, in sports activities or in informal groups. Older people are shown playing cards, dancing and in informal groups. Includes a large number of photographs relating to Christmas parties and choirs. Also includes part of a mounted photograph exhibition and a text panel. Black and white negatives show activities, particularly crafts, basketball, dances and events such as Mother's Tea (1954) and Family Night (1962). Includes scenes of the nursery school and neighborhood.