Chicago Boys and Girls Clubs Records
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 98.75 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
The Chicago Boys Clubs (founded 1901), is one of the oldest, non-profit youth recreation organizations in Chicago. The organization changed its name, ca. 1985, to Chicago Boys and Girls Club to reflect the fact that the organization had long included programs for girls as well as boys, and again in ca. 1989 to Boys and Girls Clubs of Chicago.
Scope and Content Note:
Includes correspondence, minutes, memoranda, reports, announcements, maps, surveys, financial records, phonograph records, and news clippings from the Chicago Boys and Girls Club's central office administrative files, primarily relative to fundraising, policy making, expansion and equipping of the neighborhood Boys and Girls Clubs, and coordination of their activities. Topics include recreation and team and individual sports; camping at Camp Lucerne and Winona Lake Camp in Indiana and Kemah-Crane Camp in Wisconsin; juvenile delinquency, gangs, social group work; race relations; cooperation with other social service organizations, particularly the YMCA, the Chicago Area Project (1930s), and the Chicago Council of Social Agencies; neighborhood needs assessments, and in the 1960s, participation in federal anti-poverty programs.
The neighborhood clubs have been particularly active in several Chicago communities: Near West Side, Lower West Side, South Lawndale, East Garfield Park, Bridgeport, Woodlawn, Avondale, Logan Square, Lincoln Park, and Uptown. The constituency of the clubs reflected neighborhood population changes, including youths from white, immigrant and ethnic groups in the early years and beginning in the late 1940s, more Latino and African American youths. Also present are materials on the Off-the-Streets Club (1960's), which was not one of the CBC's clubs.
This description does not include unprocessed additions to the collection.Related Material: