Chicago Commons Association Collection of Additional Photographs
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 3.6 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
Founded in 1894 by Graham Taylor at 140 N. Union Street; incorporated in 1895; moved to Grand Avenue and Morgan Street in 1901; established Farm Camp near New Buffalo, Michigan, in 1923; merged with Emerson House, 645 N. Wood Street, in 1948; headquarters moved to Taylor House, 915 N. Wolcott Avenue, in 1958; opened Jackie Robinson House in the Henry Horner Homes (Chicago Housing Authority), 124 N. Hoyne Avenue, in 1965; Olivet Community Center, 1441 N. Cleveland Avenue (founded 1888) merged with CCA in 1966; Mary McDowell Settlement, 4630 S. McDowell Avenue, merged with CCA in 1967; Benton House, 3052 S. Gratten Avenue, merged with CCA in 1967.
Scope and Content Note:
Includes photographs documenting people, facilities and activities of the CCA. Adults and children are shown participating in educational groups, theatrical productions and a few atheletic activities. Women are shown in group portraits and doing handicraft. Identified ethnic groups are Italian, Norwegian and (after 1940) African Americans. One photo series (ca. 1965-1979) shows social workers Rev. John Russell and William Bruekner with teenagers of Afrrican American, Puerto Rican and Polish descent some of which belong to street gangs in the vicinity of Grand Avenue and Division Street.