Chapin Hall for Children Photograph Collection

Institution: Chicago History Museum
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Date: 1918-1982
Extent: 1.8 Linear Feet
Finding Aid

Biographical/Historical Note:
Founded in 1860 as the Chicago Nursery and Half-Orphan Asylum, the organization became known as Chapin Hall for Children in the 1930s. In 1984 a successor organization was established as a subsidiary of the University of Chicago.

Scope and Content Note:
Collection documents children participating in holiday celebrations, birthday parties, talent shows, picnics, dancing, gardening, and graduation programs. Includes many informal portraits of children and staff, a few formal class pictures from 1970s, shots of Chapin Hall (built by Holabird and Root in 1931 and demolished in 1985) and surrounding buildings and grounds. Most images unidentified.

Related Material: