Charles Burroughs Papers
740 East 56th Place
Chicago, Illinois 60637
Extent: 1.5 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
Access to this collection is restricted; please contact the holding institution for details.
In 1959, teachers Margaret and Charles Burroughs founded what was to become the DuSable Museum of African-American History in their residence at 3806 S. Michigan Ave. Called the Ebony Museum of Negro History and Art, it started out with 100 items. In 1973, the museum moved to its current location, the former administration building of Washington Park at 740 E. 56th St. A wing named for the city's first black mayor, the late Harold Washington, opened in 1993.
Scope and Content Note:
Contact the institution for more information.