Coalition to Save the ‘Met’ Archives
9525 S. Halsted Street
Chicago, IL 60628
Phone: (312) 747-6900
Extent: 19 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
Founded in 1920 by Dr. William Decatur Cook as The Peoples Church, the 'Met' took the name Metropolitan Community Church in 1927. The church became a center for African American political activism and the Pullman porters union organization drive. The Coalition to Save the ‘Met’ was begun by church members determined to save the historic church building from a wrecking ball. After they succeeded, they began collecting historic documents and photographs to save the church’s history.
Scope and Content Note:
Papers include programs, clippings, correspondence, church newsletters, and photographs.