Fenger High School Records

Institution: Chicago Public Library - Harold Washington Library Center
Address:
400 S. State Street
Chicago, IL 60605
Phone: 312-747-4300
Website
Date: 1925-1965
Extent: 3.5 Linear Feet
Finding Aid

Abstract
Biographical/Historical Note:
Fenger High School, formerly called Curtis High School, was first opened in 1903 as a branch if Curtis Elementary School and was located on the corner of 115th and State streets. Both elementary and high school hared a principal and total enrollment numbered only 80 students. As student enrollment and faculty members increased, it was soon evident that the old structure was no longer adequate to meet the needs of the growing body. Construction soon began on a larger, modern facility and in 1926, the new building at the present site of 112th and Wallace streets was completed. Throughout its history, Fenger High School has had a long tradition of school and community involvement by the student body.

Scope and Content Note:
The collection includes: one issue of the student newspaper, The Fenger News, an anniversary brochure written by staff and faculty members on the tenth anniversary of occupancy of the present school building, and a number of the school yearbooks, the Fenger Courier, and three scrapbooks put together by Mrs. Fenstemacher throughout her career as English teacher at Fenger High School.

Related Material: