Englewood Community Collection
400 S. State Street
Chicago, IL 60605
Extent: 3.5 Linear Feet
Englewood had always had a working class, blue collar character. In 1920 there were 86,619 people living in Englewood. One-fifth were foreign born-mostly from northwestern European countries. Only two per cent of the population was black. By 1930, residential construction had all but ceased. In fact, in 1960, only two per cent of the units in Englewood had been constructed since 1930.
The character of Englewood had changed again in 1960. While German and Irish Americans controlled the area politically and economically, blacks accounted for exactly sixty-nine per cent of Englewood's population. The 1960s witness massive "white flight" from the Englewood area, further damaging the image and stability of the neighborhood. The dramatic changes taking place during the 1960s are attested to by the facts that owner occupancy of residential property in Englewood had slipped to twenty-seven per cent and that fifty-six per cent of Englewood’s residents now lived in multiple unit dwellings.
Scope and Content Note:
The ECC is organized into thirteen separate subject series ranging alphabetically from Biographical Data to War Time Activities (See Series Descriptions below). Photographs have been removed to the Neighborhood History Research Collection-Audio-visual Collection (NHRC-AV) and are listed following the Box and Folder Inventory. Cross referencing has been provided for related subjects appearing in different series or record groups.
Perhaps the most impressive aspects of the ECC are its fine collection of audio-visual materials and the series devoted to schools in Englewood. Yearbooks, student notebooks and photographs of Lindbloom and Parker High School as well as information on the Cook Country Normal School can be researched in this collection.Related Material: