Goodman Theatre Archives

Institution: Chicago Public Library - Harold Washington Library Center
Address:
400 S. State Street
Chicago, IL 60605
Phone: 312-747-4300
Website
Date: 1925-
Extent: 204 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None

Abstract
Biographical/Historical Note:
The Goodman Theatre was established in July, 1922, by a gift of $250,000 from William and Erna Goodman to the Art Institute of Chicago for the purpose of building a theater to memorialize their son, Kenneth Sawyer Goodman. Before his death at the age of 35 in the influenza epidemic of 1918, Kenneth Sawyer Goodman had written, published and produced a number of plays in non-commercial productions in Chicago, and had expressed his vision of an ideal theater, one that would combine professional training with the highest possible performance standards.

Scope and Content Note:
The collection documents the theater's early production history through promotional materials such as programs, press releases and reviews and clippings. Materials for the last 30 years of productions include an extensive collection of prompt books, production research and technical information. Other series in the collection include the papers of Artistic Director John Reich, dramaturg Tom Creamer, the Graff Family Papers, and the Producing and Artistic Directors Files.

Related Material: