Iroquois League Collection

Institution: Evanston History Center
Address:
225 Greenwood Street
Evanston, IL 60201-1676
Phone: 847-475-3410
Fax: 847-475-3599
Contact
Website
Date: 1952-1972
Extent: .25 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None

Abstract
Biographical/Historical Note:
Founded in 1917 by Mrs. Eva Rouse and a small group of women, the Iroquois League sought to provide “a safe, supervised and economical home for Negro working girls.” The home, later called the North Shore Community House, was opened in 1924 on the corner of Garrett and Ridge Avenue and despite financial hardships through 1927, by 1929 the League was able to ‘burn the mortgage.

Scope and Content Note:
The Iroquois League of Evanston records date from 1952 to 1972 and fill one archival quarter-sized box. The collection consists of speeches and membership lists, financial documentation, correspondence, meeting minutes and anniversary booklets.

Related Material: