Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission Photographs
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 1 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
The Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission was a community organization serving Chicago's central west side neighborhood of Lawndale. It was formed in 1954 as an interracial organization to serve as an information agency, a nucleus for block clubs, and a liaison between Lawndale and Chicago social service organizations. The Commission worked to improve local housing and schools and sponsored beautification projects in the area.
Scope and Content Note:
Primarily photographs of community improvement activities, officers and meetings of the GLCC. Includes views of residential blocks, buidings, and housing projects -- some of which are identified -- in the inter-racial Lawndale community of Chicago's west side. Also includes a draft copy of a document containing photos and text, entitled The Homeownership and renewal corporation : a self-help project of the west side Christian parish.