Grace Presbyterian Church Records
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: .5 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
The roots of Sixth Grace Presbyterian Church (USA) are found within the histories and ministries of two of Chicago’s most prominent churches, Grace Presbyterian Church and Sixth United Presbyterian Church. The ministry of Grace Presbyterian Church began on July 19, 1888 under the leadership of Moses H. Jackson. It had 19 members and emanated from the Presbyterian Club, which was organized by Black Presbyterians. The ministry of Sixth United Presbyterian Church began as a Bible school organized by persons of Scottish-Irish descent. On September 24, 1895 the church was organized with 27 members when the Presbytery appointed a provisional session and an interim moderator. The first installed pastor was the Rev. Riley M. Little. Sixth Grace came into being with the approval of the merger of these two churches by the Presbytery of Chicago on January 14, 1969. The newly formed congregation’s membership was 875. Dr. A.L. Reynolds, the pastor of Sixth, was installed as the first pastor of the merged church.
Scope and Content Note:
Minutes (3 vol.) of the council or "Sessions," 1895-1946, of Grace Presbyterian Church, 3600 South Vincennes Avenue in Chicago and a typescript history of the congregation read at its centennial celebration in July 1988 (16 p.).