Friendship House (Chicago, Ill.) Records
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 68 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
Access to this collection is restricted; please contact the holding institution for details.
Friendship House was a Catholic interracial apostolate founded in Toronto in the early 1930s, then New York City in 1938, and established in Chicago in 1942. Friendship House Chicago closed its facilities on March 31, 2000.
Scope and Content Note:
Correspondence, staff meeting and annual convention reports, photos, and other papers, mainly from the Chicago national headquarters; together with records from Friendship Houses in Shreveport, La., New York City, Portland, Or., and Washington, D.C. Includes information concerning the operation of the Houses, the position of the Roman Catholic Church in matters of social concern, problems generated by racial injustice, discrimination in Chicago area schools, hospitals, churches, and housing, civil rights activities, the House's publication "Community," interracial home-visit programs, the Childerly Farm retreat in Prairie View, Ill., and the Madonna Houses established in Canada by Baroness Catherine de Hueck Doherty. Correspondents include Monsignor Daniel M. Cantwell, Friendship House chaplain; Baroness Doherty, and staff workers Ann Harrigan, John Kearney, Betty Plank, and Betty Schneider.