Chicago Commons Association Records
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 82 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
Access to this collection is restricted; please contact the holding institution for details.
Founded in 1894 by Graham Taylor at 140 N. Union Street; incorporated in 1895; moved to Grand Avenue and Morgan Street in 1901; established Farm Camp near New Buffalo, Michigan, in 1923; merged with Emerson House, 645 N. Wood Street, in 1948; headquarters moved to Taylor House, 915 N. Wolcott Avenue, in 1958; opened Jackie Robinson House in the Henry Horner Homes (Chicago Housing Authority), 124 N. Hoyne Avenue, in 1965; Olivet Community Center, 1441 N. Cleveland Avenue (founded 1888) merged with CCA in 1966; Mary McDowell Settlement, 4630 S. McDowell Avenue, merged with CCA in 1967; Benton House, 3052 S. Gratten Avenue, merged with CCA in 1967.
Scope and Content Note:
Includes correspondence, minutes (1894-1960), annual and other reports, personnel records, records of clubs based at the settlement house, neighborhood census data and surveys compiled by the Chicago Commons, the second settlement house founded in Chicago, and by the Chicago Commons Association, which operated several additional settlement houses. Topics include employment, housing, education, and social conditions in the neighborhoods that the settlement houses served, primarily on the Near North Side; ethnic and racial neighborhood change and its problems, particularly among Polish, Italian, and African Americans; and various children's and adults' activities at the Commons, including education for naturalization and, during the 1940s and 50s, interracial camping. Correspondents include head residents Dr. Graham Taylor, his daughter Lea D. Taylor, William H. Brueckner, and others. Collection includes additional files that are not described above.