Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission Records
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 11 Linear Feet
Finding Aid: None
The Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission was a community organization serving Chicago's central west side neighborhood of Lawndale. It was formed in 1954 as an interracial organization to serve as an information agency, a nucleus for block clubs, and a liaison between Lawndale and Chicago social service organizations. The Commission worked to improve local housing and schools and sponsored beautification projects in the area.
Scope and Content Note:
Correspondence, board minutes, financial records, fund-raising materials, newsletters, and newspaper clippings of the Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission, operated by businessmen in Chicago's West Side community of Lawndale during the period when its population changed from predominantly Jewish to almost totally African American. Topics include the response of the local business community to the commission's pleas for operating capital, living and social conditions in the area. Also present are some papers generated by earlier neighborhood conservation groups (1950-54) and community action groups in the 1960s.