Chicago Teachers' Federation Records
1601 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: (312) 642-4600
Extent: 39 Linear Feet
The Chicago Teachers’ Federation, first and for many decades most important of Chicago teachers’ associations, was formed in the spring of 1897. It was a direct outgrowth of the pension movement of 1894, a loosely-organized, single purpose movement under the leadership of Mrs. Arvilla C. DeLuce, which succeeded in uniting city teachers sufficiently to bring about the adoption of a pension plan in 1895. In response to the interest in united action to seek redress of teachers’ grievances manifested at this meeting, a permanent organization, chartered as the Chicago Teachers’ Federation (CTF), was formed.
Scope and Content Note:
Correspondence, minutes of meetings 1898-1966 (incomplete 1906-1920), reports, excerpts of court transcripts, newsclippings, pamphlets, speeches, and other records, primarily on subjects of interest to teachers. Includes material on the Federation's relationship with organized labor and its membership in the Chicago Federation of Labor (1902-1917); salaries, pensions, tenure protection, educational theory and practice, classroom conditions, discipline problems, double shifts for students, the junior high school system, personnel and policies of the Chicago Board of Education, school legislation, and tax matters; and local, state, and national teachers'' organizations, particularly the National Education Association and the Chicago Teachers Union. Correspondents include Margaret A. Haley, CTF business representative; Catherine Goggin, CTF financial secretary; Frances Dorney M. Kenney, CTF business representative; and Ella Flagg Young, Chicago educator.