430 S. Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60605
Extent: 22.88 Linear Feet
Roosevelt’s founding in 1945 as an independent, nonsectarian, coeducational institution of higher learning was a feat requiring considerable courage. The new administration was determined to make higher education available to all students who could qualify academically. Considerations of social or economic class, racial or ethnic origin, sex, or age were, and remain, irrelevant in determining who is admitted. Originally named Thomas Jefferson College, the new school was soon renamed Roosevelt College in recognition of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt’s democratic ideals and values. Members of the early advisory board included Marian Anderson, Pearl Buck, Ralph Bunche, Albert Einstein, Thomas Mann, Gunnar Myrdal, and Albert Schweitzer.
Scope and Content Note:
The Correspondence collection includes correspondence to and from people associated with Roosevelt University presidents and administration.