Hull House Collection

Institution: University of Illinois at Chicago - Special Collections and University Archives
Address:
Richard J. Daley Library
801 S. Morgan St., Room 3-330
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone: 312-996-2742
Website
Date: 1889-
Extent: 34 Linear Feet
Finding Aid

Abstract
Biographical/Historical Note:
Hull-House, founded in 1889 by Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr, was the first social settlement in Chicago. The settlement was incorporated in March, 1895, with a stated purpose to "provide a center for higher civic and social life, to initiate and maintain educational and philanthropic enterprises, and to investigate and improve the conditions in the industrial districts of Chicago." From 1889 to 1963, Hull-House operated a wide-ranging program from its complex of buildings at 800 S. Halsted Street. In 1963, when the settlement vacated the complex on Halsted Street to provide space for the new campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago Circle, Hull-House decentralized and began operating settlement programs in a number of neighborhood locations.

Scope and Content Note:
The Hull-House Collection was assembled by the Special Collections Department of the University of Illinois at Chicago beginning in 1966. It consists of material documenting the history of Hull-House from its founding in 1889 until the mid 1960s when the settlement moved from its original location on Halsted Street. The materials have been collected from a variety of sources including members of the Hull-House Board of Trustees. The majority of this collection was acquired between 1966 and 1972, however new material continues to be added.

Related Material: