Henry Booth House Records

Institution: University of Illinois at Chicago - Special Collections and University Archives
Address:
Richard J. Daley Library
801 S. Morgan St., Room 3-330
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone: 312-996-2742
Website
Date: 1917-1977
Extent: 5.75 Linear Feet
Finding Aid

Abstract
Biographical/Historical Note:
Henry Booth House was a settlement house founded in 1898 by the Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago and named for the Society’s first president, Judge Henry Booth. The settlement served an ethnically diverse and ever-changing neighborhood on West 14th Street. By 1949, the neighborhood surrounding Henry Booth House was almost entirely populated by African-Americans. The extension of the Congress expressway through the area, an overall decline in population, and competition from other settlement houses threatened the central purpose of the Henry Booth House. In 1955 the Chicago Housing Authority asked it to relocate to the Harold L. Ickes and Dearborn Homes on south Dearborn Street. In 1962, Henry Booth House affiliated with the Hull-House Association. The Henry Booth House later relocated to 2450 S. State Street and as an active participant in several federally funded programs sought to improve the education, health, and general living conditions of community residents on Chicago's Near South side.

Scope and Content Note:
The Henry Booth House Records include minutes, reports, correspondence, clippings, receipt books, surveys, questionnaires, brochures, social work files, research papers, photographs, negatives, and related materials from affiliated organizations such as the Hull House Association, Chicago Maternity Center, and Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago. The Henry Booth House Records also include some material in Bulgarian.

Related Material: