Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission Records
Richard J. Daley Library
801 S. Morgan St., Room 3-330
Chicago, IL 60607
Extent: 4.5 Linear Feet
The Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission was a community organization serving Chicago's central west side neighborhood of Lawndale. It was formed in 1954 as an interracial organization to serve as an information agency, a nucleus for block clubs, and a liaison between Lawndale and Chicago social service organizations. The Commission worked to improve local housing and schools and sponsored beautification projects in the area.
Scope and Content Note:
The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, programs, legal and financial records, clippings, and published material. The material pertains to the administration of the Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission and its committees in the fields of housing, education, and welfare. The collection also contains information on urban renewal, education, civil rights legislation, employment, and crime in Chicago.