Clarence Darrow Community Center Records
Richard J. Daley Library
801 S. Morgan St., Room 3-330
Chicago, IL 60607
Extent: 8 Linear Feet
Access to this collection is restricted; please contact the holding institution for details.
The Clarence Darrow Community Center was founded in the early 1950’s to serve the residents of the LeClaire Courts housing project and the surrounding community. Its buildings at 4410 S. LaPorte and 4340 S. Lamon were leased from the Chicago Housing Authority. Programs included recreational programs for teenagers and children, childcare and counseling and a Planned Parenthood Clinic. In the 1950s, the population of Leclaire Courts became primarily African American while white residents bought new single-family homes surrounding the housing development. Among the efforts to involve residents from the surrounding community was the creation of home groups that met in basements, garages, and kitchens. The LeClaire Courts project is currently served by the LeClaire Hearst Community Center of Hull-House Association.
Scope and Content Note:
This collection documents the administration of the Clarence Darrow Community Center from its establishment in 1953 until approximately 1969, with a concentration on the mid-1960s. The collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, annual reports, newspapers and clippings, photographs, programs, tickets, scrapbooks, and receipts. Materials are in reverse chronological order. The materials were arranged in series by the cataloger:s