Chicago West Side Christian Parish Collection
Richard J. Daley Library
801 S. Morgan St., Room 3-330
Chicago, IL 60607
Extent: .25 Linear Feet
The interdenominational West Side Christian Parish was founded in 1952 by Archie Hargraves and Don Benedict. Located at 1613 W. Washington St., this interdenominational church was an offshoot of the East Harlem Protestant Parish in New York. Founders of these churches emphasized ecumenicalism and engagement in the community, encouraging ministers to live in the inner-city communities they served. During the 1960s, members of the West Side Christian Parish were active in the civil rights movement and the opposition to the war in Vietnam.
Scope and Content Note:
This collection contains meeting minutes, flyers and clippings documenting the activities of the West Side Christian Parish in 1966.