Cathedral Shelter of Chicago Records
Richard J. Daley Library
801 S. Morgan St., Room 3-330
Chicago, IL 60607
Extent: 4 Linear Feet
Access to this collection is restricted; please contact the holding institution for details.
The Cathedral Shelter was established in 1919 as a social service agency of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago. It offered temporary housing to homeless veterans of the First World War. The Shelter continued to offer temporary care to indigent and transient individuals, primarily adult males, on the Near West Side of Chicago, where the Shelter is located. In 1958, the Cathedral Shelter expanded its services and began treating individuals with addictions to drugs and alcohol.
Scope and Content Note:
The collection consists of annual reports, case files, correspondence, by-laws, minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, photographs, and published material pertaining to the operation of the Cathedral Shelter.